Walter E. Baird, started in the funeral business in the late 1800’s, in the Scottsburg and Conesus areas.  He moved his business to the Wayland area in the early 1900’s and continued to operate the business until his death in 1930.  In the early 1920’s his son, W. Eugene Baird, continued the family tradition and opened a business in the N. Cohocton/Atlanta area.  In 1930, he moved to Wayland and operated the family business until his untimely death in 1937.  Eugene’s wife, Cora (Reigelsperger) Baird, operated the business with their eldest son, Theodore E. Baird, who also purchased a business in Dansville in 1949, they ran these businesses together until Cora’s death in 1955. In 1959, Walter E. (Gene) Baird III, the youngest of the four children took over the family business.  In 1992, he and his two sons, Walter E. (Chip) Baird IV and Richard C. Baird, purchased the Willis C. Moore Funeral Home in Naples.  Walter E. (Gene) Baird III retired in 1997.  In 2001, Walter E. (Chip) Baird IV and Richard C. Baird purchased the Chamberlin Funeral Home in Dansville.  On January 8, 2008, the Walter E. Baird & Sons Funeral Home, Inc. and Walter E. (Gene) & Joanne Baird moved to their new home of 300 West Naples St., Wayland. This new location was the former home of Howard & Helen Gunlocke, founders of the Gunlocke Chair Factory in Wayland. The building is over 4800 square feet and is located on over 3.9 acres in the village. The facility is 100% handicap accessible and the Baird's intend to keep its mature park like setting. The Baird's feel this new location will greatly increase their ability to offer a much more comfortable, accessible and cost effective service to area families for years to come.

The Baird family has continued to provide the finest and most dedicated funeral services to all families in the Wayland, Naples & Dansville areas for over 100 years.